As the school year starts to wind down we have final committee meetings, banquets, dinners, etc. These are a nightmare for any person trying to eat healthily. I have come up with a couple of strategies to help myself do the best I can at these functions. Although I inevitably eat things I wouldn’t usually eat, it helps me keep a simple pot luck lunch from becoming a total indulgence fest!
1. Survey the food before you make choices. If you can see your options first, you can pick what most appeals to you and get really excited about that one thing rather than getting to that and already having a plate full of food.
2. Limit yourself to one plate. This is especially challenging for me because I hate for my food to touch. If you can’t fit it on one plate, you probably don’t need it.
3. Fill half of your plate with fruits and veggies. This will give you a head start on keeping your plate manageable. There is almost almost a fruit and veggie tray and these will keep higher calorie options to a smaller portion of the plate.
4. Take one scoop portions. When you get to foods you wouldn’t normally eat, take a small portion of them. This way you get a good taste of these delicious treats but don’t over indulge.
5. Choose one dessert. This is the hardest one for me. I looooooove all things sweet so this part of these functions are my absolute weakness. I try to pick one dessert and then avoid that table again. If I end up getting one more sweet, it won’t be the end of the world and I will at least have to think about it as long as it takes me to get back to the table (giving me time to change my mind, if I still want it, I must reallly realllllly want it).
By the end of our lunch Wednesday, I was completely satiated and satisfied but I didn’t feel like I was going to explode like everyone was complaining of as we sat down to our next class.
Do you have any strategies to try to keep yourself on the right track during events like this?