Rough Day

Yesterday was rough to put it lightly.  After classes and going for a run I decided to take Scarlett to the dog park.  She was the most social she has ever been there.  She found this cute little thing that she decided she would become the great protector of and kept all the other dogs away from her, it was soooo cute.

Scarlett and her Friend

Scarlett and her Friend

So Sweet

So Sweet

But then, another dog came into the park started a fairly large dog fight with a lot of dogs.  Scarlett got spooked.  She never goes more than 10 feet away from me, EVER!  But after this happened she decided she was going home and took off into 5 o’clock traffic in downtown Charleston.  I was sprinting and screaming like a maniac but ineveitably just watched as she was clipped by a car.  I finally caught up to her, carried her home and headed straight for the ER.  She had broken her radius and ulna in her left hand.  We had to leave her over night so she could meet with the surgeon in the morning.

Luckily, as I started to compose this post, the surgeon called and informed us that he thinks we will be able to proceed conservatively, thank goodness.  The surgery that we were told she had a 50/50 shot of leading last night would have been $2000.  I get to go pick her up this afternoon and I can hardly stand to wait.  The down side is she pretty much has to be crated 24 hours for the next few weeks except to go to the bathroom.  That is going to be so hard for us, luckily her crate is huge so I can probably climb in there with her (and I will, this is not a hypothetical scenario, trust me).

I figured that I would have to go get her this afternoon (and I was having a hard time sleeping anyway) so I did something I never do…got up and went to the gym early.  Like I was at the gym at 7:15.  This is unheard of in my world.  I did a good run on the treadmill for 35 minutes.  I set it to 8.0 mph to start and turned it down 0.1 mph at the start and end of each set of commercials so I started out hard and tapered until the end.  Any kind of speed play I can do on the treadmill really makes it more tolerable for me.

After that, I did a new circuit.


I urge you to try this one, it definitely kicked my butt!

For the rest of the day I will be staring at the clock, counting the seconds until I can go get my girl!  Please send good healing vibes her way so we can get her back to normal and I can get my running buddy back!


6 thoughts on “Rough Day

  1. Oh my goodness, what a terrible story! I can’t even imagine how scary it must have been to see her running away from you towards traffic, I would have been absolutely freaking out (I’m literally shaking sitting here even thinking about it!). I’m glad to hear that she is going to be ok, but being crated for that long is definitely going to be hard…my dog would be nuts!

    Lots of love to Scarlett, sending all of my healing thoughts!

    • Thank you so much. It was definitely awful running after her, watching it happen and knowing there was nothing I could do. Really it turned out to be the absolute best case scenario, but still traumatizing. She is not going to be happy with the crate at all but she will just have to get over it I guess (or I will just sleep in there with her, which is more likely what will happen).

  2. Pingback: Don’t stop, they’ll catch you!! | runs4treats

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s