My year in running looked like this…
I ran the Charleston Half Marathon, Nashville Rock N’ Roll Marathon, Savannah Rock N’ Roll Marathon.
Which brings me to 2013!
My biggest fitness goals will be:
1. Run 1500 miles (have to beat out last year)
2. Work on strengthening; I hate that this goal isn’t really quantifiable, but if i am going to continue running I really need to put more effort here or injuries are bound to follow
3. Do yoga once a week
4. Eat at least 5 servings of fruits/veggies and drink 8 cups of water a day
Non fitness related goals:
1. Finish my last year of class room education
2. Pass the comp (written comprehensive) exam
3. Pass the OSCE (practical comprehensive exam)
4. Slow down and smell the roses during this whirl wind of life!
Happy New Year to all!!
What are your goals for the year (fitness or non)?
I have been MIA for a few days. Thursday I got my four miler in and then Scarlett and I hit the road for about 10 hours. Then yesterday I decided to delay my long run until today so I could just unpack, hang out and relax with Casey.
Then I woke up this morning and started reading my book and pretty much decided I wasn’t going. About an hour after that decision I changed my mind, threw my gear on and headed out before I could change my mind again. I headed out with no direction and ended up quite a few places I have never been. The view was beautiful and I enjoyed the run a lot.
Because I hadn’t planned out my run at all, I ended up back at home covering 17 miles. I had had enough and had gone way further than the 0 miles I had planned on in the morning. 7 hours post run, I am so glad I stopped when I did. My legs are in pain, like tons of ice, ibuprofen, achy, miserable pain.
I think my body is finally saying for real that it needs a break. I am fairly certain that I have Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome (PFPS). Ironically, I did my final research paper on diagnosis and management of PFPS in physical therapy.
1. Pain with ascending stairs
2. Pain with descending stairs
3. Pain with squatting/jumping
4. Pain while running
5. Pain after sitting for prolonged periods
Right now I am mostly having the pain up and down stairs and after getting up from sitting. Luckily I don’t have it while I am running (knock on wood). The bad part about this is that it doesn’t have a quick fix solution. I need to work on strengthening my quadriceps, hip external rotators and hip abductors which will be a long process to do it right. As of now, I will run this race take a little rest to relieve my sore muscles and then dive into strengthening my legs and hips.
So my post race work outs now have a direction, lets just hope the body can hold out three more weeks!